Broncs Host Fairfield in MAAC Play on Friday & Saturday
Games 18-20 – Friday, March 24, 2017 & Saturday, March 25, 2017
Rider Broncs (7-10, 0-0 MAAC) vs. Fairfield Stags (5-10, 0-0 MAAC)
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ - Sonny Pittaro Field
First Pitch – Game One: Friday at 3:30 pm
First Pitch – Game Two: Saturday at noon
First Pitch – Game Three: Saturday at 3:30 pm
Live Stats: Available at GoBroncs.com Game One , Game Two & Game Three
Live Audio: 107.7 FM The Bronc
What You Need to Know
- Rider opens up its Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) slate this weekend with a three-game series against Fairfield. The series serves as the first games in conference play for both the Broncs and the Stags.
- Rider enters the weekend coming off a 7-2 win at in-state rival Rutgers on Tuesday. The Broncs are undefeated in the Garden State this season after taking their home opener versus Lafayette on February 28 and downing the Scarlet Knights.
- Last year, Rider took two of three on the road versus eventual MAAC Tournament Champion Fairfield.
- Fairfield enters the weekend having taken two of three at Stetson last weekend. Highlighting the series win was Gavin Wallace tossing a complete-game shutout with nine strikeouts against the Hatters. Offensively, the Stags have two players hitting above .300 led by Jack Gethings batting at a .373 clip. He also leads the team with eight RBIs. Kevin Radziewicz is the other Stag over .300, hitting .339 with a team-high 20 hits to go along with seven RBIs and 22 total bases.
- For the first time in program history, the Broncs played a game in the state of New Jersey in the month of February, defeating Lafayette, 2-0, at home.
- During the team’s 10-day spring-break trip, Rider took two of three from Georgia and split a series at Campbell.
- Earlier this season, freshman second basemen Kyle Johnson was honored as College Sports Madness MAAC Player of the Week. It marked the first time in Johnson’s young career that he has earned recognition for his play on the field.
- The same week that Johnson earned his accolade; junior starting pitcher Nick Margevicius was named the MAAC Pitcher of the Week. It marked the first time this spring that Margevicius has earned the accolade and the second time in his career. As a freshman during the spring of 2015 he was once tabbed as the MAAC Rookie of the Week.
- This season, Margevicius has amassed a 2.25 ERA with 21 strikeouts in 24.0 innings pitched. The only Bronc with a lower ERA is closer Andrew Tumbelty. In 7.1 innings of work, Tumbelty has a 0.00 ERA and five strikeouts. Out of the bullpen, Josh Sharik has made a team-high 10 appearances and Dylan Simcik leads the team with three wins.
- Offensively, four Bronc starters are hitting over .300, led by catcher Lee Lipinski at .359. Lipinski is one of four players tied for the team-lead with 10 RBIs along with Mike Volaski, Tyler Kaiser and Jake Bender. Johnson leads the team with 22 hits and seven stolen bases, while hitting .328 from the leadoff spot.