Iona sweeps Broncs
LAWRENCEVILLE, NJ – Elyse Cuttic (Easton, PA/Bethlehem Catholic) threw a complete game and had two hits in Game 2, but the Rider University softball team was swept by league-leading Iona, 7-0 and 6-0, Wednesday afternoon at Herb & Joan Young Field. With the losses, the Broncs fall to 6-35 (1-13 MAAC), while the Gaels are now 23-19 (12-4 MAAC).
A six-run top of the second staked Iona to an early lead in Game 1. A walk plated the first run of the game, before an error on the would-be third out made it 2-0. A pair of two-run doubles from Kristen Turner and Tori Danner pushed the Iona lead to 6-0. Rider pitchers Delany DeMello (Roseville, CA/Roseville) and Emily Oltman (Collegeville, PA/Perkiomen Valley) combined to limit Iona to just one run the rest of the way, but the Broncs' offense managed just three hits in the game as the Gaels took the 7-0 run.
After two scoreless innings in Game 2, Iona struck for three runs apiece in the third and fourth innings. After the Gaels put the first two runners on with singles, a pair of passed balls, a wild pitch on a third strike and an RBI single staked Iona to a 3-0 lead after three. Marisa Gergel's two-run single in the fourth gave Iona a 5-0 lead before Turner added an RBI single to make it 6-0. Sabrina Torres (Clifton, NJ/Paramus Catholic) walked and Monica Clark (Bryn Mawr, PA/Archbishop Carroll) singled to put runners on the corners in the fifth, but the Broncs couldn't score on Gaels starter Marnie Skinner.
QUOTES & NOTES
“We took ourselves out mentally. We had one bad inning in both games where the wheels completely fell off. We talk about getting those key hits and have to figure out a way to get the bats awake. We have to stop aiming for the 220 and 190 and maybe we'll catch a break.” – Rider Head Coach Jaclyn Timko
• DeMello started Game 1 in the circle and took the loss. Just one of the six runs she allowed was earned on five hits and three walks in 4.0 innings pitched.
• Cuttic went the full 7.0 innings in the Game 2 loss, allowing six runs, five earned, on six hits and three walks. She struck out four and retired the final 10 batters she faced.
• Oltman pitched 3.0 innings of relief in Game 1, limiting the Gaels to one earned run on three hits and two walks, while striking out three.
BRONCS BY THE NUMBERS
• Cuttic and Clark led the Broncs with two hits apiece. Cuttic contributed a double, while Clark also reached a third time via a base on balls.
• Gabby Bram (Jackson, NJ/Red Bank Catholic) and Amanda Jordan (Somerset, NJ/Franklin Township) also chipped in with a hit each, with Jordan doubling and Bram also adding a hit-by-pitch.
The Broncs return to action Saturday, when they travel to Siena. The twinbill in Loudonville, NY, is slated to start at noon.
SB: Sights/Sounds vs. Marist 4/24/16
SB: Sights/Sounds vs. Siena 4/23/16
SB: 2016 Outlook
SB: Senior Day 2015 - 5/3/15
SB: Postgame - Carroll - 4/21/15
SB: Postgame - Sensi - 4/21/15
SB: Postgame - Carroll - 4/18/15
SB Postgame vs. Iona - DeMello 4/4/15
SB Postgame vs. Iona - McCool 4/4/15
SB Postgame vs. Iona - Carroll 4/4/15
SB Postgame vs. Iona - Sensi 4/4/15
SB Postgame Carroll 3/31/15
SB 2015 Schedule Preview
SB: Postgame vs. Saint Peter's 4/21/14 - Carroll