Broncs fall to Norfolk State, Campbell
BUIES CREEK, NC – Josettee Spencer (Hillsborough, NJ/Hillsborough), Kiera Swank (Bear, DE/Caravel Academy), Amanda Jordan (Somerset, NJ/Franklin Township) and Amanda Crimarco (Levittown, NY/Kellenberg) had two hits apiece, but the Rider University softball team was defeated by Norfolk State, 4-0, and host Campbell, 9-1, on the opening day of the Camel Stampede Friday. With the losses, the Broncs slip to 0-7 on the season.
Against Norfolk State, the Spartans scored one in the second and added two in the sixth and another insurance run in the seventh. The support was more than enough for Norfolk State starting pitcher Hunter Halford, who went the distance, shutting out the Broncs while scattering four hits and two walks. Kaitlyn Kallert (Woodland Valley, NJ/Passaic Valley) pitched well in defeat, allowing just one earned run on four hits and three walks in 5.0 innings pitched.
Campbell took the lead with a two-run third inning and added another run in the fourth. The Broncs got a run back in the top of the fifth to cut the deficit to 3-1, but the Camels scored six runs on four hits, three walks and an error in the bottom of the frame to close out the 9-1 victory.
QUOTES & NOTES
“We took ourselves out of both of these games today. Mental mistakes and not getting those key at bats. Aside from those mistakes, we are continuing our aggressive play and building our confidence.”
- Rider Head Coach Jaclyn Timko
• Swank had both of her hits in the Norfolk State game, including a double.
• Delaney DeMello (Roseville, CA/Roseville) took the loss against Campbell. However, she departed after 4.0 innings, prior to the Camels six-run outburst.
• Freshman Sabrina Torres (Clifton, NJ/Paramus Catholic) got her first collegiate hit against Campbell, a leadoff single down the left field line in the top of the fifth.
BRONCS BY THE NUMBERS
• Jordan drove in the Broncs’ lone run with a single against Campbell, scoring Spencer.
• Spencer reached base three times with two hits and a walk.
• Kallert pitched well in the loss to Norfolk State, limiting the Spartans to just one earned run on four hits and three walks, while striking out four in 5.0 innings pitched.
The Broncs return to Camel Stampede action Saturday, when they face Appalachian State at 10 a.m. and Campbell at 3 p.m.
To remove your e-mail address from our mailing list, please click on Customer Care and select Remove From Mailing List from the Area of Interest list and specify your e-mail address. Note: This does not apply to opt-in e-mail. To modify your opt-in e-mail deliveries, log in to the site and modify your preferences. Customer Care