Broncs drop final two games of Camel Stampede
BUIES CREEK, NC – Monica Clark (Bryn Mawr, PA/Archbishop Carroll) went 2-for-3 vs. Appalachian State and Kiera Swank (Bear, DE/Caravel Academy) delivered an RBI single vs. Campbell, but the Rider University softball team was defeated by the Mountaineers, 7-1, and by the Camels, 5-2, to close out the Camel Stampede Saturday afternoon. With the losses, the Broncs drop to 0-9.
The Broncs scored first against the Mountaineers in the top of the first, with Josettee Spencer (Hillsborough, NJ/Hillsborough) reaching on an error, advancing two bases on Clark’s single and scoring on a two-out error by the shortstop. But Appalachian State scored twice in the second, single runs in the fourth and fifth and three more in the sixth to take the 7-1 victory.
Campbell starting pitcher Katie Baker went the distance against Rider and held the Broncs out of the hit column for 6.2 innings. But after hitting Spencer with a pitch to open the seventh, an error on Amanda Jordan’s (Somerset, NJ/Franklin Township) at bat and a Clark sacrifice bunt to put runners on second and third. The Broncs’ first run scored on Amanda Crimarco’s (Levittown, NY/Kellenberg) groundout, before Swank got Rider into the hit column with an RBI single to score Jordan. But Baker recorded the final out to secure the 5-2 victory.
• Spencer has reached base safely in each of the last six games.
• Elyse Cuttic (Easton, PA/Bethlehem Catholic) started the Appalachian State game in the circle and took the loss.
• Kaitlyn Kallert (Woodland Park, NJ/Passaic Valley) took the loss to Campbell.
• Relievers Megan Ailand (Burlingame, CA/Burlingame) and Emily Oltman (Collegeville, PA/Perkiomen Valley) pitched 0.2 and 1.0 innings of scoreless relief, respectively.
BRONCS BY THE NUMBERS
• Through nine games, Spencer leads the Broncs with four runs scored.
• Kallert has a team-best 3.77 ERA, while Cuttic leads the Broncs with 10 strikeouts.
The Broncs return to action next Saturday, when they take part in the UMBC Retriever Classic. They’ll face Coppin State in a doubleheader beginning at noon on Saturday, before playing a twinbill against UMBC on Sunday, also at noon.
To remove your e-mail address from our mailing list, please click on Customer Care and select Remove From Mailing List from the Area of Interest list and specify your e-mail address. Note: This does not apply to opt-in e-mail. To modify your opt-in e-mail deliveries, log in to the site and modify your preferences. Customer Care