Rider Hosts Manhattan in Key MAAC Weekend Series
Games 38, 39 & 40 – Saturday, April 29, 2017 and Sunday, April 30
Rider Broncs (16-20-1, 8-7 MAAC) vs. Manhattan Jaspers (11-27, 5-7 MAAC)
Location: Lawrenceville, NJ - Sonny Pittaro Field
First Pitch Game One – Saturday at noon
First Pitch Game Two – Saturday at 2:30 pm (7 inning game)
First Pitch Game Three – Sunday at noon
Live Stats at GoBroncs.com: Game One, Game Two & Game Three
Live Audio: 107.7 FM The Bronc
What You Need to Know
- Rider opened up a four-game homestand this week, welcoming in regional rival Saint Joseph's on Wednesday in non-conference action before hosting Manhattan this weekend for a three-game Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) series.
- On Wednesday, the Hawks topped the Broncs, 13-5, at Sonny Pittaro Field. In the setback, freshman leadoff hitter Kyle Johnson, sophomore shortstop Richie Tecco and Lee Lipinski combined for six of the seven Bronc hits. Johnson went 2-for-2 with two walks and two runs scored, Tecco was 2-for-4 with a run scored and Lipinski was 2-for-4 with three RBIs.
- Through its first five conference series of the season, the Broncs have posted an 8-7 mark. Most recently, Rider was swept in a three-game set at Canisius. The Broncs were shutout in two of the games and are in the midst of a 20-innning scoreless droughtin conference play.
- Last week, Rider played to its first tie since 1995. The Broncs ended their non-conference tilt at Princeton knotted at seven after nine innings. The game was called due to darkness. Rider has just three ties in the last 25 years.
- For the first time in program history, the Broncs played a game in the state of New Jersey in the month of February, defeating Lafayette, 2-0, at home.
- Earlier this season, Johnson was honored as College Sports Madness MAAC Player of the Week. It marked the first time in his young career that he has earned recognition for his play on the field.
- The same week that Johnson earned his accolade; junior starting pitcher Nick Margevicius was named the MAAC Pitcher of the Week. It marked the first time this spring that Margevicius has earned the accolade and the second time in his career. As a freshman during the spring of 2015 he was once tabbed as the MAAC Rookie of the Week.
- Last week, Margevicius was tabbed as the College Sports Madness MAAC Player of the Week and the MAAC Pitcher of the Week. Also, freshman Pete Soporowski was honored as the MAAC Rookie of the Week.
- Other Broncs to earn weekly accolades this season are Tecco (College Sports Madness MAAC Player of the Week), Lee Lipinski (MAAC Player of the Week) and freshman starting pitcher John Yocum (MAAC Rookie of the Week).
- This season, Margevicius is 4-2 with a 2.51 ERA and a team-high 54 strikeouts in 57.1 innings pitched. Out of the bullpen, Josh Sharik has made a team-high 23 appearances. Out of the bullpen, Jordan Silverman is second on the team with a 3.66 ERA in 19.2 innings of work.
- Offensively, three Bronc starters are hitting over .280, led by Lipinski at .304 with a team-high nine doubles and a .480 slugging percentage. Senior outfielder Tyler Kaiser checks in a .289 this spring with a team-best 25 RBIs. He is one of three Broncs with 20 or more runs batted in. Riley Mihalik is the other Rider player batting over .280 this spring, hitting .286 with 23 runs scored and 18 RBIs. Mihalik and Kaiser are tied for the team-lead in both home runs (4) and extra-base hits (12). Johnson has the most hits on the team (40) and McClure has scored a team-best 26 runs.