UMKC edges Broncs, 5-3
CONWAY, SC – Freshman catcher Shelby Miller (Roseville, CA/Whitney) drove in two runs and four Broncs had two hits apiece, but the Rider University softball team was edged by the University of Missouri-Kansas City, 5-3, Sunday morning to wrap up the Battle at the Beach. With the loss, the Broncs slip to 0-5, while the Kangaroos are now 3-6.
The Broncs battled back from down 3-0 with a run in the second and two more in the fourth. Miller plated Monica Clark (Bryn Mawr, PA/Archbishop Carroll) with a sacrifice fly in the second, before singling home Maddy Chain (Gloucester, NJ/Gloucester City) in the fourth. Later in the inning, Amanda Crimarco’s (Levittown, NY/Kellenberg) bases-loaded walk plated Josettee Spencer (Hillsborough, NJ/Hillsborough) with the tying run.
But UMKC would add the go-ahead run in the top of the fifth on a bases-loaded walk of their own and add an unearned insurance run in the top of the seventh to secure the victory.
QUOTES & NOTES
“Execution, we finished this weekend by getting better each game. We executed at the plate, we moved runs into scoring position. We made the plays on the field. All the pieces fell into place. Most of the time, when you outhit the opposite team, you come out with a W. We will keep building on this game and take it North Carolina in 2 weeks.”
“Delany DeMello, awesome game on the mound and on the plate.”
“Amanda Jordan coming up with big plays in the OF.”
“Shelby Miller with the sac field to get us on the board.”
“Very happy with how this team is coming together.” - Rider Head Coach Jaclyn Timko
• Toni Nino (Adelanto, CA/Silverado), Crimarco, Chain and Delany DeMello (Roseville, CA/Roseville) had two hits apiece.
• DeMello took the loss in the circle, allowing four earned runs in 4.0 innings.
• Emily Oltman (Collegeville, PA/Perkiomen Valley) and Kaitlyn Kallert (Woodland Valley, NJ/Passaic Valley) combined for 3.0 innings pitched without allowing an earned run.
BRONCS BY THE NUMBERS
BRONCS BY THE NUMBERS
• The Broncs had a hit in five of seven innings and put the leadoff batter on four times.
• Rider had a season-high 12 hits. In the first four games of the year combined, the Broncs had nine hits.
• With 12 hits and four walks on 28 at bats, the Broncs posted a .500 on-base percentage.
• DeMello is now hitting a team-best .625 (5-for-8) with an on-base percentage of .667.
The Broncs return to action Friday, Mar. 3, when they take part in the Campbell Tournament. First pitch against Norfolk State is set for 12:30 p.m. prior to a meeting with the host Camels at 5 p.m.
SB: Sights/Sounds vs. Marist 4/24/16
SB: Sights/Sounds vs. Siena 4/23/16
SB: 2016 Outlook
SB: Senior Day 2015 - 5/3/15
SB: Postgame - Carroll - 4/21/15
SB: Postgame - Sensi - 4/21/15
SB: Postgame - Carroll - 4/18/15
SB Postgame vs. Iona - DeMello 4/4/15
SB Postgame vs. Iona - McCool 4/4/15
SB Postgame vs. Iona - Carroll 4/4/15
SB Postgame vs. Iona - Sensi 4/4/15
SB Postgame Carroll 3/31/15
SB 2015 Schedule Preview
SB: Postgame vs. Saint Peter's 4/21/14 - Carroll