Broncs battle in Game 2, but swept at UMBC
BALTIMORE, MD – Monica Clark (Bryn Mawr, PA/Archbishop Carroll) and Toni Nino (Adelanto, CA/Silverado) had three hits apiece on the day, but the Rider University softball team was swept on the road by UMBC, 15-0 and 11-7, in a doubleheader Sunday afternoon. The Broncs slip to 0-11 with the setbacks, while UMBC improves to 9-15 with the pair of wins.
UMBC took Game 1 on the strength of two runs in the first, three in the second, a single tally in the third and nine-run fourth to close out the game in five innings. Clark led the Broncs with a 2-for-3 effort, while Kiera Swank (Bear, DE/Caravel Academy) added a pinch-hit single.
Ellie Oruska (Chadds Ford, PA/Garnet Valley) got the Broncs on the board in Game 2 with a solo home run, her first of the season, in the top of the second. After UMBC scored a run in the bottom of the second, the Broncs answered with a five-run fourth to close the deficit to 9-6. Runs scored on hits by Alexa Feliciano (Thousand Oaks, CA/Oak Park), Nino and Josettee Spencer (Hillsborough, NJ/Hillsborough), while a squeeze bunt from Amanda Jordan (Somerset, NJ/Franklin Township) and an error on a ball put into play by Swank also plated runs.
The Retrievers rebuilt the cushion to 11-6 with a pair of runs in the bottom of the fifth. Nino delivered an RBI single in the top of the seventh, but the Broncs fell, 11-7.
QUOTES & NOTES
“We were able to fight back in Game 2. Overall, I’m happy with our at bats.” – Rider Head Coach Jaci Timko
• Spencer saw a streak of six-straight games having reached base safely snapped in Game 1, when she bunt grounded out in her only plate appearance. She started a new streak with a pair of hits in Game 2.
• In addition to Oruska’s home run, Feliciano and Spencer added doubles for three Rider extra-base hits on the day.
• Elyse Cuttic (Easton, PA/Bethlehem Catholic) took the Game 1 loss. Half of the 12 runs she surrendered were unearned.
• Megan Ailand (Burlingame, CA/Burlingame) entered Game 2 in the bottom of the first with six runs already across and no one out. Ailand went the remaining six innings, limiting UMBC to four runs, three earned, on seven hits and two walks.
BRONCS BY THE NUMBERS
• Nino posted all three of her hits in Game 2, when she went 3-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI.
• Oruska scored twice to lead the Broncs.
• Through 11 games, Spencer leads the Broncs with five runs scored.
The Broncs continue UMBC Retriever Classic action tomorrow, when they face Coppin State in a noon doubleheader.
SB: Sights/Sounds vs. Marist 4/24/16
SB: Sights/Sounds vs. Siena 4/23/16
SB: 2016 Outlook
SB: Senior Day 2015 - 5/3/15
SB: Postgame - Carroll - 4/21/15
SB: Postgame - Sensi - 4/21/15
SB: Postgame - Carroll - 4/18/15
SB Postgame vs. Iona - DeMello 4/4/15
SB Postgame vs. Iona - McCool 4/4/15
SB Postgame vs. Iona - Carroll 4/4/15
SB Postgame vs. Iona - Sensi 4/4/15
SB Postgame Carroll 3/31/15
SB 2015 Schedule Preview
SB: Postgame vs. Saint Peter's 4/21/14 - Carroll