Broncs sweep Coppin State
BALTIMORE, MD – Amanda Crimarco (Levittown, NY/Kellenberg) and Maddy Chain (Gloucester, NJ/Gloucester City) had four hits apiece as the Rider University softball team swept Coppin State, 6-3 and 6-5, Monday afternoon at UMBC. Crimarco homered, drove in four and scored twice as the Broncs improved to 2-11. Chain also added a pair of RBI’s and a run scored. Coppin State falls to 2-16 with the losses.
After the Eagles struck for two in the second inning of Game 1, the Broncs scored one in the third, three in the fourth and two more in the fifth to take a 6-2 lead. Chain’s RBI single in the third got things started, before an Amanda Jordan (Somerset, NJ/Franklin Township) single tied the game and two more runs scored on another Chain single. Ellie Oruska (Chadds Ford, PA/Garnet Valley) added her second home run in as many days to push the lead to 5-2, before Alexa Feliciano (Thousand Oaks, CA/Oak Park) scored on a Toni Nino (Adelanto, CA/Silverado) groundout to make it 6-2. A Nicole Ullman RBI triple for UMBC in the bottom of the seventh cut the Broncs’ lead to 6-3, but Rider pitcher Emily Oltman (Collegeville, PA/Perkiomen Valley) settled down to record the final three outs and close out the victory.
The Eagles again jumped out on top with a run in the first of Game 2, but Crimarco’s three-run home run in the top of the second gave the Broncs a 3-1 lead. Monica Clark (Bryn Mawr, PA/Archbishop Carroll) followed suit with a solo blast in the third before Coppin State used errors, walks, wild pitches and a sacrifice fly to score three and tie the game at 4-4 after four. Rider put its first three batters on in the fifth and scratched across runs on a Feliciano groundout and a Crimarco single to make it 6-4. The Eagles would cut the lead in half at 6-5 with a run in the bottom of the fifth, but the Broncs held on for the victory.
QUOTES & NOTES
“Today was a total team effort. We were able to piece together multiple hits and cash in on offense. We played solid defense behind the strong performances from our pitching staff.” – Rider Head Coach Jaci Timko
• Chain contributed her second multi-hit game of the year with three hits in Game 1. Her two RBI’s were the first of her collegiate career.
• The sweep was the Broncs’ first on a single day since last March 23, when Rider swept Fairleigh Dickinson. The Broncs also swept Saint Peter’s last season, but Game 2 was pushed by rain to a week later.
• Oltman earned her first-career win in Game 1 and went seven innings on the day, scattering five hits and four walks, while striking out four.
• Elyse Cuttic (Easton, PA/Bethlehem Catholic) also posted her first collegiate win in Game 2, pitching four innings of one-hit relief. She allowed two unearned runs, walked one and struck out two. • Oruska homered in her second consecutive game with a solo shot in Game 1.
BRONCS BY THE NUMBERS
• In addition to Crimarco and Chain, six other Rider batters finished the day with two hits apiece. Toni Nino (Adelanto, CA/Silverado), Oruska, Feliciano, Jordan, Clark and Kiera Swank (Bear, DE/Caravel Academy) each had a pair of hits.
• Chain tripled her season hit total, adding four to the two she’d compiled prior to today’s doubleheader.
• Rider had five extra-base hits, 11 RBI’s and 12 runs scored. Crimarco, Oruska and Feliciano scored twice each. In addition to homers from Crimarco, Oruska and Clark, Crimarco and Oruska also doubled.
The Broncs’ next two regularly-scheduled doubleheaders against Howard and Georgetown have been canceled due to a threatening weather forecast. Next up on the docket is a Saturday twinbill at Penn, pegged for a 1 p.m. first pitch.
SB: Sights/Sounds vs. Marist 4/24/16
SB: Sights/Sounds vs. Siena 4/23/16
SB: 2016 Outlook
SB: Senior Day 2015 - 5/3/15
SB: Postgame - Carroll - 4/21/15
SB: Postgame - Sensi - 4/21/15
SB: Postgame - Carroll - 4/18/15
SB Postgame vs. Iona - DeMello 4/4/15
SB Postgame vs. Iona - McCool 4/4/15
SB Postgame vs. Iona - Carroll 4/4/15
SB Postgame vs. Iona - Sensi 4/4/15
SB Postgame Carroll 3/31/15
SB 2015 Schedule Preview
SB: Postgame vs. Saint Peter's 4/21/14 - Carroll