Broncs Travel to Play Monmouth on ESPN3 Thursday
GAME 22 – Thursday, February 2, 2017
Rider Broncs (15-6, 9-3 MAAC) at Monmouth Hawks (10-10, 5-6 MAAC)
Location: West Long Branch, NJ – OceanFirst Bank Center (4,100)
Tip: 7:00 pm
Live Video – ESPN3
Live Stats – MonmouthHawks.com
Live Audio – 107.7 FM The Bronc
Twitter – Twitter.com/RiderAthletics
-Rider and Monmouth are meeting for the 42nd time, with the Hawks owning a 28-13 lead in the series history. Monmouth enters the game on a two-game winning streak against the Broncs after sweeping the season series last year.
- Last time out, senior guard Robin Perkins hit the game-winning shot as time expired against Saint Peter’s for Rider. Trailing by two with 1.8 seconds on the clock, Perkins caught an inbounds pass, took a dribble, squared up and found nothing but net on a contested three-pointer from the wing. It gave the Broncs the season sweep for the second year in a row versus the Peacocks.
- The win on Saturday was the 15th of the season for Rider. That is tied for the most victories by the Broncs under Head Coach Lynn Milligan. The team won 15 games during both the 2012-13 and 2013-14 campaigns.
- For the first time in program history, the Rider University women’s basketball team was named to the CollegeInsider.com Women’s Mid-Major Top-25 Poll as announced by the committee on January 10. The CollegeInsider.com Women’s Mid-Major Top-25 is now in its seventh season of existence and is voted on by a panel of 31 coaches from across the country. The Broncs entered the poll at No. 25.
- Rider is 6-1 on the road in conference play this season, highlighted by a pair of one-point wins against Canisius and Siena. The Broncs have also scored double-digit triumphs versus Manhattan, Niagara, Marist and Saint Peter’s. The team had won six straight away from Lawrenceville in league play before a setback against Quinnipiac on January 21.
- Rider is 12-1 when leading at halftime this winter. They had won their first 11 games before the Fairfield loss on January 14. The Broncs have won back-to-back conference games when trailing at halftime thanks to topping Manhattan and Saint Peter’s last week.
- Three weeks ago, Robin Perkins sank a free throw at Siena for her 1,000th point at Rider. She is the 20th player in program history to reach the milestone. She currently has 1,118 points as a Bronc and is tied for second in the MAAC in scoring with 17.0 points per game.
- Julia Duggan recorded her team-leading sixth double-double of the season against Fairfield. She scored a season-high 21 points on 6-of-12 shooting to go along with 10 rebounds. Duggan also hit all nine of her free-throw attempts against the Stags. She has posted double-doubles in four of her last seven MAAC games. No other Rider player has recorded a double-double in 2016-17.
- Freshman Safie Tolusso has provided a spark off the bench for Rider this season. Against Manhattan, she scored a career-high 11 points, highlighted by a 4-of-5 showing from the free-throw line. On the season, she is shooting 35 percent from three-point range and 80 percent from the charity stripe.
- Rider has used the same starting lineup in all 21 games this season. The quintet of Perkins, Duggan, Taylor Wentzel, Kamila Hoskova and freshman Stella Johnson are accounting for 78 percent of the team’s scoring this season.
- Rider currently ranks first in the MAAC in field-goal percentage (.417) and three-point field-goal percentage defense (.278). The Broncs are second in the league in scoring offense (66.8), scoring margin (+4.0) and field-goal percentage defense (.378).